Thursday, January 27, 2011

Social Networking

Here's the deal: If you look at me and my relationship with social networking, it comes across as more of a noun than a verb. It's a person, place or thing (or actually all three) that is out there for me to use, but I don't do much of it....kind of like 'cleaning' lol. Even before the advent of Facebook etc. I have never been a big 'networker'. I think this may stem from the fact that with online social networking,especially in a professional network, I feel the pressure of an obligation to contribute something, not that I would know what that would be. Another issue, not feeling like I have much to contribute, and no one likes the person who simply re-hashes. I think my reluctance to dig into social networking also comes from the fact that I tend to be a fairly private person (no Twittering here....although I will for the class). Personally, I am a big fan of Facebook (which I check at least once a day if not more) because for me it acts as a aggregator of my friends lives so I can stay updated and prioritize my communications. That makes me sound rather snooty doesn't it? LOL But I really like the idea that I can choose what to "dip into" or ignore without having to explain or justify to anyone my choices. I also enjoy the fact that Facebook allows me to see all sides of a person not just their 'professional' personae. If a friend shares something about politics or rock climbing that I might find it interesting, but would not have known about the person had we only been interacting around the idea of education.

Professionally I really, really like the idea of Edmodo: Like Facebook, but you are able to keep the sense of a "professional" relationship with your students. I do actually use Facebook with the forensics team that I coach, as a group, events etc., and I am those students' friend, but I am not as concerned about this because I keep my profile "clean" anyway (the privacy thing again) so friending my students was not a concern. Any students that I have/had spend a good chunk of time social networking so these seems like a natural tool for them to use...like the author who mentioned that they have been doing things like Webkinz since they were little. I like the fact that, like Google Docs, things don't get lost between home and school. If you post a note at home, you can pull it back up at school, no more "I forgot my homework at home, but it's done I swear".

I would like to end by make a little soapbox comment. Administrators who block social networking SOLELY on the basis of preventing cyberbulling are Silly (to use a nice word). Just because I student isn't on facebook/IMing/whatever at school doesn't meant that they don't at home. Again, it's about teaching students how to use a tool properly and how to interact with others that promotes good community. A student who has a tendency to bully will find a way to do so with or without filter on the internet at school.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, it is necessary to teach students proper "online" etiquette - just like we teach them to be responsible citizens in the classroom. This is one of my favorite soap boxes. It really bothers me that school districts block teacher access to sites that allow them to effectively teach these skills. These skills are going to have to be explicitly taught and modeled for this to happen. Students are going to need well developed global communication skills in order to successfully enter the workforce in the not to distant future. They need to come to an understanding that bullying, no matter where it happens, isn't an appropriate behavior choice.

    ReplyDelete