Tuesday, February 1, 2011

It's a big scary interweb out there....

I would first just like to give a shout-out to the curriculum designers  for giving us some freedom on this lab to pick and choose topics that we wanted information on. Although I do not know a lot about internet security, there are a few things that have been hammered home to me and I did not need to sit through another lesson on them. The video in the Email Security bit, had a comment that said something along the lines of "everyone over 65 who uses email should be made to watch this video" and I whole-heartedly agree. I am not sure why this age demographic seems to have a lot of trouble with internet security...in my mind it is no different than evaluating snail mail...perhaps they assume the same degree of Federal oversight? Food for thought...I'm sure some grad student out there is hammering out a thesis on it as I type....

I skipped around quite a bit with the Atomic labs but here are some that I found useful:

H 1 &2 These regarding safer web browsing and using Firefox. I have used firefox for as long as I can remember because my brother (who is a tech guru) told me that he would cut off my pinkie if I chose to use anything else :-P but he never explained why. I NOW understand that it is due to how IE is linked to the Windows OS. This above everything else that I learned is something that I will pass on to others, because I've been telling people for a long time to switch but had no real justification why they should. Huzzah me!

L This section is about backup options for your computer, and I think I watched all but one of these. My brother has also been nagging me about this for years, but I never really got around to. I had also wondered about the online options and whether that was a  good choice or not (something I had placed in the KWL). Backing my computer up is starting to weigh on my mind since student teaching I have many files that I would hate to lose. I now know some good places to start both at home and online.

I also first looked at the Understanding How Malware Spreads clip to kind of review and reaffirm those things that I already knew. When I read through and look at some of this stuff all I can think of is MadEye Moody from Harry Potter (yes, I'm a nerd, I know) who was always going on about "Constant vigilance!"


Too bad I can't just hook up to my laptop- then I'd be safe from malware AND dark wizards

2 comments:

  1. I almost fell off my chair when I saw Mad Eye's picture - from laughing mind you. I also love that you use "interweb." That said, I just realized I have no idea what the difference is. Google to the rescue!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to learn that you jumped around Atomic Learning - selecting the videos that met your needs=8-) I believe your brother was right in recommending Firefox. I used to be a firm IE user, until a couple of years ago. Now, I'm a avid Mozilla user, for the very reasons pointed out in the video.

    ReplyDelete